Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Amerikans: Micha Hilliard explains how he scripted a non-fiction ‘documentary’


This is a brief excerpt from DSLR News Shooter






Guest post by Micha Hilliard


Cinematographer, director, subject and producer


“Vacuuming just happens to be one of my passions,” exclaims Walter during his interview. He goes on to list the virtues of his German water-based Hyla vacuum cleaner. My crew and I are set up in a luxuriant parlour at “Walter A. Frey Funeral Home,” surrounded by chandeliers and Chinese porcelain. The interview has turned to the subject of embalming. I cast a sideway glance at the polished mahogany casket in the adjoining room and wonder how I’ve ended up in this place with a production team and a pile of costly equipment.


Walter from Art+Practice on Vimeo.

Back in 2010, director Mika Johnson and I shot the first episode of ‘The Amerikans’, a series that takes a local and collaborative approach to documentary filmmaking. Our goal was to reveal the extraordinary richness of the lives of ordinary people in Northeast Ohio. We wanted to bring together disparate communities. At the time, I was an undergraduate student and we had to schedule all our shoots around my classes. We did not own any equipment. The cameras we ended up using, the JVC GY-HM100U and Panasonic AG-HVX200, belonged to …



By: Micha Hilliard


Continued… click here!







via planet5D pinterest news http://pins.planet5d.com/the-amerikans-micha-hilliard-explains-how-he-scripted-a-non-fiction-documentary/

No comments:

Post a Comment