Monday, February 25, 2013

Putting youself out there – doing what you love – can you do it?



Since the announcement on Thursday of the cinema5D forums moving to planet5D, I’ve gotten some negative comments about the tone and style of the video. And I wanted to take a few moments to share some of the things I’ve learned and my thoughts, and to ask you to think about what you’re doing.


On the forums, I have written a bit about my passion and drive and my philosophy about my on screen personality and I thought it would also be great to post over here.


Many of you don’t know why I’m doing things the way I do, and maybe by putting this out there, you’ll understand me a little better.


I’m certainly open to constructive comments if you’d like – but please be constructive. Hateful mean things will be deleted. This is not youtube!








my on screen personality


I get that some of you didn’t like my ‘welcome cinema5D readers’ video – some did, some didn’t. That is going to be true for anything I do. I can live with that. Some even said I should take it down – but to me, that would be running and hiding and telling them that they can beat me down and make me run and hide. I won’t hide from my mistakes (if it was one), I learn from them. Yes it was cheesy. Some think I should be stodgy and boring… but that’s clearly not me.


In that video, I wanted to express my passion and my total excitement with getting totally involved with the cinema5D forums and having all of you become a part of planet5D. Did I learn anything from making it? Yes! I learn something from everything I do.


In the past, I have posted videos and gotten feedback “cut the comedy, just do the review like a professional” and I’ve also gotten “love the humor! Keep it up” – some people love Jared’s video style (remember he used to be the face of cinema5D?) others hated it.








You can’t please everyone!


On youtube, the people who get the most subscribers and views are the ones who show their personality – viewers want to be entertained. Most of the people in this dslr/filmmaking space have a bit of a quirky personality and like to share things with humor. I’m trying to be entertaining as well as sharing what I learn. I don’t want to just do things in a “professional business like manner” – that just isn’t me. If you don’t like it, I get it. Not everyone will. And, I’m ok with that!


It is about passion – I love what I’m doing. I’m amazed at all the wonderful people I’ve been able to meet thru simply creating a successful website. You may not agree with me or my style, but I’ve built planet5D into something that is loved by many and is successful enough for me not to have to do another job to make a living. I call that success!


I have a unique motif around the word “planet” and it gives me an opportunity to explore a different theme of entertainment. You’ll hear me say “i am my own planet” because I use planetMitch as my name… some people laugh and enjoy playing along (some run away screaming). My views and subscriber base are increasing so it gives me the feeling that overall, people like what I’m doing. The “greetings earthlings” is something that hit me the other day and so I’m experimenting with that. It may totally flop, but I’m trying something different – what are you doing?


99% of you aren’t putting yourselves on screen – you sit behind it and pass judgement. Well, try getting out in front and doing reviews that are entertaining. Try writing blog posts that keep people coming back for years on end. Take the negative comments that are thrown at you as if you are dirt. It isn’t easy. But I’m trying things and learning along the way (which is also how you grew to where you are today) – I just happen to be doing it in front of thousands of people.


And I’m completely serious! If you want to do a video review of a product you love or hate, send it to me, I’ll post it. Want to write a guest blog post? Let me know!


Go ahead! I dare you! We can all learn from each other so why not step out of your comfort zone and show everyone what you can do?


comments?


You can make comments here – I welcome them! But note that later today, all comments will be closed (on the blog) and commenting will happen over on the new forums. Registration is simple – as easy as 2 clicks! Plus, you’ll be more involved in the conversations happening there.


(cover photo credit: snap from the video)













via planet5D pinterest news http://pins.planet5d.com/putting-youself-out-there-doing-what-you-love-can-you-do-it/

No comments:

Post a Comment