Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Modding a Vintage Camera for Digital Use


This is a brief excerpt from PetaPixel




My name is David Lo, and I am a street photographer who enjoys taking vintage cameras, digitizing them, and then using them for street photography. This is a walkthrough on my process of modifying a camera.I have a short list of dream cameras to digitize. They probably would have to be spare part cameras that were not repairable or usable though. My list includes: a Hasselblad SWC, Polaroid Land 180, a Graflex National, Graflex D, Linhof Technika, as well as my own camera design ideas.


Here I’ve decided to do the project on a 1916 Kodak Autographic 3A Special. You need a camera with some sort of bellows, or a focusing lens apparatus. For instance, I would really love to convert a Kodak Instamatic, but it’s got no adjustable lens or bellows, and the back is so small that it would look rather awkward after modification.

A significant part of the experience is the joy of going out and using the modified vintage camera. Plus it gives the camera a “second life”. Its previous owner might have put but a few dozen rolls through it at the most, unless his name was Gary Winogrand, however, you’ll be able …



By: David Lo


Continued… click here!







via planet5D pinterest news http://pins.planet5d.com/modding-a-vintage-camera-for-digital-use/

No comments:

Post a Comment