Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Photographs of the Poor Filipino Children of “Smokey Mountain” in Manila


This is a brief excerpt from PetaPixel




My name is Chris Rusanowsky, I am a 22-year-old freelance photographer based out of Los Angeles, California. In February of 2012 I took a trip to document poverty in Manila, Philippines for 32 days.

Upon my arrival to Manila I felt an overwhelming feeling of the growing city. From the first step onto the streets, to the time of making my return home I had witnessed beautiful people living in poverty.


My project starts at a city dump site, a place the locals call “Smokey Mountain”. It was named after the thick, white soot that filled the air. There was a highly compacted muddy road condensed with huts on each of side of it, leading me to a community of huts made with abandoned materials.


The people of Smokey Mountain have been forced to live around the dump site to search through trash to find recyclables as a means of income. Surrounding the homes were a large row of charcoal shanties, where these men, women and children from the age of six worked 24 hours a day.


These huts had no foundation and could have collapsed at any time. The smoke from the charcoal billowed into the air, leaving a burning sensation in …



By: Chris Rusanowsky


Continued… click here!







via planet5D pinterest news http://pins.planet5d.com/photographs-of-the-poor-filipino-children-of-smokey-mountain-in-manila/

No comments:

Post a Comment